Cambridge Main Street is a nonprofit organization working to advance the revitalization of our beautiful, old downtown. We aim to bring businesses, jobs, customers, and fun to the core of our community–and to do so in ways that stays true to our town’s rich history.
Our mission is one embraced and supported across our whole community. Our growing number of annual donors includes individuals, families, organizations, and businesses from throughout Dorchester County–and beyond.
We operate in four key areas:
- The Business Development Team works to bolster business activity downtown by strengthening existing businesses and attracting new businesses.
- In 2011, our volunteers were honored for the Best Business Development Project of the year among Maryland’s 23 Main Street Communities!
- The Market Development Team works to build downtown’s customer base via marketing efforts, promotional campaigns, special events and other strategies.
- The Streetscape Development Team works to make downtown Cambridge a more beautiful, inviting, and environmentally sustainable place to spend time.
- In 2010, our volunteers received the statewide Community Activism and Achievement Award from the Governor’s Office of Smart, Green & Growing!
- The Organizational Development Team works to bring in the financial resources and volunteer expertise that Cambridge Main Street needs to help our community achieve its goal of a fully revitalized downtown district.
- In 2010, our volunteers were honored for the Best Organizational Development Project of the year among Maryland’s 23 Main Street Communities.
All four teams are led and staffed by community volunteers. Here’s where you can find out more about volunteer opportunities at Cambridge Main Street.
The approach we take follows the “Main Street” model of economic development developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Now in place in more than 1,000 communities around the country, it’s geared especially toward historic downtown districts that hit upon hard times when shopping malls, big box stores, and chain restaurants came to dominate the dining and retail sectors.
The Main Street model is working in Cambridge. The shops and restaurants in our downtown have garnered numrous awards and won increasing media attention in recent years as this revitalization gains momentum. It’s happening in large part because of the generosity of our donors and the work of our volunteers.